Sunday, April 15, 2007

Another attack on the yawn... I mean lawn

If you have been reading my posts about lawn care, you might note that it is a bit harsh. In other words, I like to rip it out, smother it, or overwhelm it with other more interesting plants.

Here is another master plan in action:








Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
New beds along driveway and path
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Lawn swath soon to be gravel path

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Front Spiral Garden

Are you using your imagination? Can you see it without the magic of stitch fixing software? Beside the spiral garden (far right), will be a gravel and patio stone path, which is now framed with gardens. I am getting some looks from passerbys but very few questions.

They are all afraid of the lawn destroyer!

4 comments:

OldRoses said...

Wildly Cheering!! I'm trying to get rid of my lawn too. Every year I widen my beds and create new ones. I'm happy to meet soneone else who is doing the same.

Christa said...

Cheering for you, too! Lawn Destroyer, I like it! Better to grow interesting things than to have to mow lawn... and mow it again, and again, right? Good luck with your design.
Thanks for visiting my blog.

Unknown said...

Heh heh heh...there are more lawn-destroyers out there than you might think. I figure grass exists to grow in my pasture, or else to be ornamental perennial types in the garden. i'm on a long-term Take Back the Lawn assault too. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

cheers, jodi

Anonymous said...

I-am-not-a-gardener (obligatory disclaimer). I have a little suburban house, with little suburban yard, that, under previous management was a rather advanced perennial garden. We thought that was an excellent idea, until the spring after we moved in... when we realized that we did not know how to tell a weed shoot from a desirable shoot, and it turned into a jungle. To make a long story longer, when nearly half of the grass in the back yard had been displaced by an invasive leafy thing that some have called a mint-relative, I gave up the fight and let it have the rest. I now mow that like a lawn. Anywhere that both grass and mint-ish-thing refuse to grow, I'm trying clover - the neighborhood rabbits seem to appreciate that, as does the neighbor's little girl who peeks over the fence and says "Ooo! Bunny!" :-)
In front, where it was mostly grass, but deadly spraying for grubs was not desired (see above comment about neighbor kids), my solution is to feed the grass, then wait for tell-tale dead circles to appear. I then dig 'em up, "turf" the turf (along with the grubs), declare the bare patch to be "garden", and plant annuals. I figure two more years before the patches merge into one big, haphazard flower patch.

I've seen a couple of clover-only lawns, but they fill in rather late. If I knew of a similarly hardy, low-growing, crowd-loving, full-sun-loving green plant that would mix with clover, but come alive earlier, I'd like to try that as a "lawn"... gotta have SOMETHING to use my Lee Valley reel-style push-mower on.

Cheers,

Kevin in Barrhaven