Sunday, March 18, 2007

Forced Fruit Twigs
Green Thumb Sunday

What to do with those twigs after you prune your fruit trees:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Forced plum tree twigs

1. Give 'em to your friends to graft on to their trees
2. Use the ones that aren't diseased for the bottom of a compost pile
3. Force them for early indoor blooms.


Hortiphilia Fact
Forcing means to trick bulbs or twigs into flowering.

I just stick mine in water and wait patiently. This is from my 'indoor garden.'

Links:

Basic Grafting Techniques
More techniques on grafting
Forcing twigs

Join Green Thumb Sunday
Join


Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo! My neighbor has a huge plum tree and when he prunes it, half the branches land in my yard. I love this - I pick them all up and bring them inside to bloom. I bet he doesn't know he's doing me a favor!

Unknown said...

Great photo... and good thoughts on what to do with the prunings, too. I'm going to be forcing a few cherry branches soon, as I am a little behind in my pruning and need to catch up this week!

To answer your question about the rescued geranium, they were taken along with some 'Powis Castle' artemisia, bachelor's buttons, various thymes and several other perennials from the beds around the garden center where I worked part-time two years ago. The garden center was losing its lease on the land, and after it closed in the fall the owners allowed us to take whatever we wanted from the beds. So it was legal pilfering, but I still felt shady about digging plants out from a bed along the side of the road. :)

And I hear you on the neighbors... I have a few fans, but I believe that most of them think I am crazy, too. lol.